Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him (Matt 2:1-2).
In our text today, the Bible says that some wise men came from the East to Jerusalem, searching for the King that was born. They were called wise because amongst other things,
- They saw what others could not see.
- They did what others would not do.
- They gave what others would not give.
- They worshipped like others would not.
Two thousand years after the incident, they are still justified by their acts of wisdom.
The Bible makes it clear that a wise man is strong. It is by wisdom a house is built, it is by understanding it is established and it is by knowledge it is filled with all manner of good things. If a man would excel in life, it is by wisdom because wisdom still remains the principal requirement for success in
any endeavour in life.
Before Solomon could reign successfully, he asked for wisdom as a gift from God (1 Kg. 3:5-9). Before Jesus commenced His ministry, He was anointed with the Spirit of wisdom (Isa.11:1-2). When Jesus was speaking about wisdom, He said hat wisdom is justified by the result it produces. This is to say that good intention, knowledge and understanding are not sufficient as the proof of wisdom.
Wisdom is knowing what to do and doing it, knowing what to say and saying it, knowing where to go and going there. The proof that a person is wise is the result he or she produces. Wisdom is justified of her children (Matt. 11:19).
When Jesus was giving us the great commission, He admonished us to be “as wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove” Matt.10:16. He knew we need wisdom if ever we were to win souls. It is the one who is wise who wins souls (Prov. 11:30; Dan 12:3). Wisdom is a gift from God and He gives it to:
(1) Those who fear Him, for the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Ps. 111:10).
(2) Those who spend time in His word. The wisdom of God is in the word of God (Deut.4:6-7).
(3) Those who take time to be in His presence, to wait on Him, to fellowship with Him, to look on His face and ask Him for direction. When we seek Him, we find Him. He is wisdom supreme (Prov. 8:1- 12).
(4) Those who ask for it from Him (Jam. 1:5).
(5) Those who walk with the wise. They allow the wise to provoke and challenge them to become wiser by the day (Prov. 13:20)
(6) Those who will seek for and receive the full anointing of the Holy Spirit. He is the Spirit of wisdom (Isa. 11:1-2).
(7) Those who will act on whatever instruction God gives them (1 Jn. 2:5).
May the spirit of excellent wisdom come upon you today.
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him (Jam. 1:5).
SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY
1 KGS 3:1-28
FOR FURTHER STUDIES
PROV. 8: 1-36
- Come before God, He gives wisdom to His people.
- Ask that the wisdom of God would come mightily upon you and let results show.
- Pray that mighty deeds shall begin to happen by your hands
Confession for Today:
The spirit of excellent wisdom from God is upon my life.
Pray for Burkina Faso