Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation (2 Peter 3:3-4).
The Word of God warns that we should beware of scoffers who make light of the glorious return of Christ our Lord. They say that since over two thousand years that Christ promised to return He has not, and that the promise is a myth. They are ignorant of the way of the Lord, and no believer should give them attention. Some of these scoffers are in the Church, even amongst preachers. They are so consumed with present “success” that they mock the day of the Lord. You are to avoid them, and prepare diligently for the soon coming of Christ.
In the Scriptures, Christ Himself promised to return for His people (John 14:1-3).
- The angels of God said that Christ would return in the same way He went (Acts 1:9-12).
- Peter said clearly Christ was coming back again (2 Peter 3:10-14).
- John testified again and again that Christ is coming back again (1 John 3:1-3, Rev. 1:7-8).
- Paul taught it with great passion that Christ is coming back again (1 Cor.15:51-52; 1 Thess. 4:14-18; 2 Thess.1:6-10; Hebrews 9:28). The second coming of Christ is a major hope unto which every true believer should look, and for which we are to earnestly prepare.
- You prepare by being sure you are truly born-again (John 3:1-7).
- You prepare by living a life of holiness (2 Peter 3:11-12).
- You prepare by being prayerful (1 Peter 4:7).
- You prepare by winning souls to Christ (Jude 22-23).
- You prepare by serving the Lord sincerely, to earn your eternal reward (1 Cor. 3:12-14).
- You prepare by becoming part of those taking the gospel of Christ to the ends of the earth (Matt. 24:14).
- You prepare by walking in love (1 Cor. 13:1-7).
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also (John 14:3).