Instantly, an angel of the Lord struck Herod with a sickness, because he accepted the people’s worship instead of giving the glory to God. So he was consumed with worms and died (Acts 12:23, NLT).
When King Herod, being a man, received the worship that belongs to God alone, an angel struck him and worms ate him up and he died. At a time, the people of Iconium wanted to worship Paul and his co-preachers because of the ways they demonstrated the power of God. Paul told them never to do it, that he was a man like they were, that they should worship only the living God who made the heaven and the earth (Acts 14:8-18). When John the beloved received those awesome visions recorded in the book of Revelation, by the hands of an angel, he fell down at his feet to worship the angel. The angel forbade him asking him to ‘worship God’, not an angel, for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy (Revelation 19:10). It is very clear here that:
- We are never to worship any man.
- We must never worship any angel.
- We as humans, no matter our position, authority, gifts, talent or ability, must never receive worship from another man.
We are to worship God alone. He is the Most High. Why then do we worship Jesus? He is the Son of the living God, Emmanuel – God in the flesh. He and His Father are one. Throughout His walk on earth, Jesus never rejected worship from men because He is God. Why do we worship the Holy Spirit? He is the third personality of the divine Godhead. He is the breath of God; the very life of God; the Chief Executive of God’s operations on earth today; the Holy Spirit is God. That is why, for a believer in Christ, worship starts from within – right inside you. The Father is inside you, the Son is inside you and the Holy Spirit is inside you. You carry God in your spirit: you are a God-inside person. Start then to worship God in spirit and in truth, right from the inside of you. Your whole life should be a worship to the living God. Never must you give your worship to any man, no matter how great. Honour all men according to the degree of honour they deserve, but worship God alone. Never must you get into the error of worshipping an angel, like so many people do. And you must never allow any man to worship you, no matter your power, authority, gifts or talent. If you do not want to die like Herod, you must never accept worship from men, it belongs to God alone.
Give to the Lord the glory he deserves! Bring your offering and come into his presence. Worship the Lord in all his holy splendour (1 Chro. 16:29).
SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY
FOR FURTHER STUDIES
- Give thanks to the Most High God, who is so great that the heaven of heavens cannot contain Him, yet He chooses to live right inside each of His children.
- Ask the Lord to deliver you from every spirit of error, that you may worship Him in spirit and in truth.
- Pray for those who are in the error of worshipping angels or created objects; that God will open their eyes to see that they may be saved.
- Pray for your Pastor that he may teach the Word of God in truth.
Confession for Today: The Most High God is right inside me, therefore I am more than a conqueror through Christ
Na tions’ Watch:Pray for South Africa