Moreover thou leddest them in the day by a cloudy pillar; and in the night by a pillar of fire, to give them light in the way wherein they should go (Neh. 9:12).
The God of glory, who is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, cares for His people all around the day, all through the year, all through their journey on earth. He who watches over Israel never sleeps nor slumbers. He watches over you. In our text today, we see God’s awesome presence with His people when He took them out of Egypt, in their journey through the wilderness into Canaan. He was with them as a pillar of cloud by day, and a pillar of fire by night, throughout all their journeys (Exodus 40:38). This presence of the Lord gave them:
- A very clear direction, He led the way, and showed them where to go. When He stopped, they stopped. When He moved, they moved. He ordered both their steps and their stops. (Psalm 37:23).
- A strong impenetrable defence against the attacks of their enemies. Whether the attack was spiritual like the curse of Balaam or physical like the attack of Amalek, God was there to ward off all attacks and protect His people (Exo. 14:19-20, Num. 23:23).
- Abundant provision for all their needs – whether it be manna from heaven or water from the rock, or garments that never wax old, he catered for them in abundance. They had more than enough (Psalm 78:23-29).
- Victory over all their enemies. No matter how strong the enemies they came against, Israel always came out on top because God was fighting for them (Deuteronomy 28:7).
- Supernatural intervention. Whenever they came across any matter that was beyond their ability, God always came through for them with a miracle. The parting of the red sea, the crossing of river Jordan, were a few examples. The God of miracles and divine intervention is our God (Jeremiah 32:27).
- Supernatural healing from every sickness. When they were bitten by serpents, they only needed to look on the serpent on the pole and all who looked were totally healed (Exodus 23:25; Numbers 21:8-9).
- Complete turn around of every negative situation, like the water of Marah that became sweet (Ps. 126:1-3, Exo. 15:23-25). All these showed how the presence of God cared for all their needs.
But God went beyond their needs to also cater for their comfort. Comfort? Yes. Have you noticed that in the desert it is always hot by day? The cloud of glory covered them by day providing a glorious shade, giving them comfort. And it is always cold in the desert by night. The pillar of fire not only lightened their way, but provided them warmth against the terrible cold of the desert night. How wonderful our glorious God is. This is how He cares for you. Not just your need but your comfort. He wants you to be very comfortable. This shall be your experience throughout this year in Jesus’ mighty name.
SCRIPTURE FOR TODAY
FOR FURTHER STUDIES
- Give glory to God because He cares about every details of your life.
- Identify a specific need you have and ask Him to supply according to His word.
- Identify a specific item of comfort that you need. Ask the Lord to provide it for you, making you to enjoy His comfort.
- Thank God for answering your prayers.
Confession for Today
Glory be to God most high, my heavenly Father. He cares about every aspect of my life. It is His plan to bless me and make me comfortable. I bless His holy name.
Nations’ Watch: Pray for Iceland